Our metallurgists carry out investigations in three ways, as follows.
- Attending site when a loss is obviously a materials-related problem. An example would be a corrosion failure.
- Providing expertise and laboratory facilities to engineers who attend sites. An example would be a mechanical engineer investigating a boiler breakdown and returning with boiler tube samples. Our metallurgist would conduct the laboratory investigation.
- Carrying out failure analysis on samples sent directly to our laboratory.
Failure mechanisms recognised and documented in our laboratory include the following.
- General corrosion
- Pitting & contact corrosion
- Stress corrosion cracking
- Brittle failure
- Ductile overload
We have particular expertise in corrosion, including damage during shipping of hot and cold rolled steel